What is Chicken Tikka Masala?
Chicken tikka masala is an aromatic dish made up of a spice curry sauce. This delicious dish was originated in India. Chicken tikka is basically the chunks of chicken (boneless), marinated in spices and yogurt and cooked in a creamy tomato gravy. The chicken is fried and then added to the masala. The history of the invention of this delicious dish is unknown, it is said that once a king asked his cook that chicken tikka that he made is too dry and it should have a little gravy. So, the cook took it back and bring it back with a variation, this variation was called chicken tikka masala.
Chicken tikka masala became so popular that chefs worldwide, that foreign Secretary Robin Cook called it the national dish of the British. You can spot chicken tikka masala in every famous restaurant’s menu card that offers Indian cuisine. But, wait, why look for it in the menu cards of restaurants when you can make it at home easily. The good news is that it barely requires an ingredient that is not already available in your kitchen. Moreover, made in tomato sauce, this heavenly chicken tikka masala recipe is a treat for your taste buds. So, without any further ado, let’s move toward the preparations to make an authentic and best chicken tikka masala recipe. Let us first discuss things you should remember before heading toward the best chicken tikka masala.
Things to Remember before Heading toward Best Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Well, there are some tips and tricks that need to be followed to make the restaurant-style chicken tikka masala. So, let’s have a look at them,
- Always use chicken thigh pieces to make the juiciest Indian chicken tikka masala recipe. As it will soak the flavors in the marinating process quickly; hence will require less marinating time. Don’t forget to make cuts in thigh pieces before marinating to let the marination get deep in.
- However, if you want to use breast piece anyway, we suggest you marinate it overnight for the best flavor.
- In addition, yogurt is a must ingredient for marinating chicken to make the Indian Chicken tikka masala recipe.
Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25-30 Minutes
Tikka Masala Spices (Best Grilled Chicken Tikka Masala)
As mentioned above, you can explore the flavors of this tempting curry from spices already available in your kitchen. So, take out your pen and paper to note the spices of chicken tikka masala.
- Rock Salt 70 gram
- Black Salt 10 Gram
- Mace Spice 1o Gram
- Black Cumin Seeds 10 Gram
- Anise Seeds 10 Gram
- Tatars 12.5 gram
- Black Pepper 25 Grams
- Papaya powder 12 Gram
- Red Chilli Powder
- Dried Ginger 15 Gram
- Nutmeg 8 Gram
- Long Pepper 3 Gram
- Star anise 2 Grams
- Cassia 2 Gram
- Black Cardamon 5 Grams
- Cinnamon 5 Gram
- Turmeric 25 Gram
You can make this dried masala once, and store it in an airtight jar. This mixture is best to marinate chicken for the Grilled chicken masala recipe. Whenever, you want to make chicken tikka in a tandoor or oven, mix the required amount of this masala in yogurt and squeeze a lemon in the mixture. Now place the pieces in the skewer, brush some oil or butter, and put it in your oven or tandoor. Moreover, you just have to marinate your chicken for 2-3 hours, and you are good to go.
Note: Don’t compromise on the quantity of spices in the chicken tikka masala as all of them are in perfect proportion. Moreover, including or excluding them will affect the taste of masala. Hence will end up compromising the overall flavor of the masala.
Punjabi Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Below is the easy yet most tempting and best recipe of chicken tikka masala you would ever have. Let’s move toward the ingredients for marination below.
Ingredients for Marinating
- Chicken Thighs (Bite-Size Pieces) 800 Gram/28 oz.
- Plain Yogurt 1 Cup
- Minced Garlic 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- Ginger 1 Tablespoon
- Garam Masala 2 Teaspoons
- Turmeric 1 Teaspoon
- Ground Cumin 1 Teaspoon
- Kashmiri Chilli 1 Teaspoon
- Salt 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients for Sauce
Below are the sauce ingredients,
- Vegetable or Canola Oil 2 Tablespoon
- Butter 2 Tablespoon
- Finely Diced Onions 2 Small
- Delicately Grated Garlic 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- Thinly Grated Ginger 1 1/2 Tablespoon
- Garam Masala 1 1/2 Teaspoon
- Ground Cumin 1 1/2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder 1 Teaspoon
- Ground Coriander 1 Teaspoon
- Tomato Puree 400 Gram/ 14 oz
- Kashmiri Chilli 1 Teaspoon
- Ground Red chili powder 1 Teaspoon or as per your taste
- Heavy Thick Cream 1 1/4 Cups
- Brown Sugar 1 Teaspoon
- Water 1/4 cup
- Coriander to Garnish
- Take a Big-sized bowl, put the chicken pieces, and add all the marination ingredients mentioned above. Soak it for 60 minutes or so depending on the time you have. Moreover, you can marinate it for a minimum of 10 minutes if you are using a thigh piece.
- Place your skillet or pot on the stove, and heat oil in medium-high heat. As it starts sizzling, slowly add the marinated chicken in batches to avoid overcrowding in the pan. Let it fry till brown on each side. It would take 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Use the same pan to melt butter. When melt, add onions to fry till soft.
- Next, add ginger and garlic, and saute for a minute. Cautiously add the given quantity of cumin powder, garam masala, coriander, and turmeric. Keep stirring occasionally and fry for about 20 seconds.
- Pour in tomato puree, salt, and chili powder. Let them simmer for about 10 minutes, wait for the sauce to become thick, and take deep red/brown.
- Add cream, brown sugar and mix them in the sauce.
- Now, add fried chicken with all its juices and let it cook for good 8-10minutes. When the sauce starts bubbling, add some water if you find it too thick.
- Finally, add coriander, and serve with naan or garlic rice.
Is Chicken Tikka Good For Weightloss?
Grilled or roasted chicken Tikka is a source of healthy fat, hence recommended by many nutritionists and dieticians. So, if you are planning to start a diet, you can put portions of marinated chicken in ziplock bags and keep them in the freezer. Whenever you want to consume it, you can grill, roast, or stir fry it in a pan. Get it embedded with a lot of salad and taddaa! you are good to go.
Leg and breast piece of chicken is considered the leanest source of protein, but it is important to check the calories if you are opting for muscle gain and weight loss. Dieting is no more about tasteless food, chicken tikka will be your favorite diet food. Just avoid using ingredients like heavy cream and full-fat yogurt; you can replace them with greek yogurt.
Calorie Count in Indian Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe?
On average, there are 300-400 calories per serving in Indian Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe. Besides, below is the nutritional information of chicken tikka Indian Tandoori Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe,
- Iron 11%
- Carbohydrates 11 Gram
- Protein 19 Gram
- Fat 12 Gram
- Dietary Fiber 2 Gram
- Saturated Fat 3 Gram
- Polyunsaturated fat 4 Gram
- Monosaturated fat 5 Gram
- Sugar 5 Gram
- Cholesterol 82 mg
- Sodium 268 mg
- Potassium 503 mg
- Calcium 11%
- Vitamin C 66%
- Vitamin A 23%
The calorie count may vary according to the recipe followed, ingredients, and serving. So, it is better to read the labels of the ingredients while using them to determine the exact calorie count.
Note: Also, if you want to keep a control on the calorie counter, replace heavy cream or full-fat yogurt with Greek yogurt. Also, you can skip the butter or ghee.
10 Best Tips to make Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe a Hit
Below are some tried and tested tips to make your chicken tikka masala recipe a hit. Follow them to enjoy the most delicious chicken tikka masala recipe ever.
- Use Thigh Pieces as they are juicy and absorb the flavor of spices quickly. The breast piece is dry comparatively.
- Avoid using too old spices as it may affect the taste of the recipe.
- Marinate the chicken for a minimum of 10 minutes even if you are in hurry, or it will be tasteless inside. Consider it a mandatory element to ensure the delicious taste of the dish.
- If you want a tandoori taste, char the chicken pieces.
- For additional rich flavor, brush your chicken pieces with ghee or butter before turning them.
- For a smooth tomato base, use passata.
- Add tomato puree to give deep brown/red color to your chicken tikka masala recipe.
- Adding garam masala in seasoning will enhance the flavor of tikka.
- Add heavy cream for silkiness in the gravy. Some recipes also use coconut milk, follow the recipe religiously to get the promising result.
- Sprinkle grated almonds along with coriander to add crunch.
Is Chicken Tikka Masala Healthy?
Yes, Chicken tikka masala is healthy as it carries 39 grams per serving of protein and 3 grams of dietary fiber. Fiber itself is a nutrient that lowers blood pressure and prevents spikes in blood sugar levels. If you want to increase the fiber element, you can consume chicken tikka masala with brown rice or by adding more onions and tomatoes.
You can also take the cholesterol game in your hand, use vegetable oil instead of ghee, use Greek or low-fat yogurt instead of full fat. Also, if you want to decrease the sodium level in your recipe, lessen the quantity. So, making chicken tikka masala healthy or unhealthy depends on the method you are following to make it. You can easily use substitute ingredients. Similarly, there is also a vegetarian version of chicken tikka masala, which we will present in a separate blog post.
Easy Chicken Tikka Masala
In case you are in hurry and want a quick recipe to make easy chicken tikka masala. Here is a perfect easy chicken tikka recipe for you.
Garam Masala 1tbsp
Ground Cumin 1tbsp
Ground Coriander 1tbsp
Turmeric Powder 2tbsp
Koshar Salt 2tbsp
Smoked Paprika 1tsp
Cayenne Pepper 1/2tsp
For Chicken Tikka Masala
Boneless and Skinless Chicken 2 Pound
Full-fat Plain Yogurt 1 Cup
Grated Garlic 6 Cloves
Grated Ginger 1tbsp
Finely Diced Onion 1
Canned Tomato Sauce 1 Can
Heavy Cream or Coconut Milk 1 Cup
- Grab small, mix all the spices, and set aside.
- Take another bowl, put chicken, yogurt, half ginger/garlic, and half spices. let it marinate for 15 minutes minimum.
- Heat the oil in a deep pot, and fry marinated chicken in batches. Let it cook and turn golden brown. 3 minutes on each side. keep them aside.
- Now in a pan, add onion, remaining ginger/garlic paste, and the left spices. Stir occasionally and let all ingredients simmer for about 4 minutes. Now add the canned tomatoes and stir well.
- Now add chicken and coconut milk and stir. Reduce the flame and cover. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally. Garnish with coriander or cilantro. Serve with naan or white rice.
Is there any British Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe?
Well, the British chicken tikka masala recipe sounds interesting, as people might think that Britishers have their own version of the chicken tikka masala recipe. As mentioned at the beginning of the article; chicken tikka masala is originated from India but loved in British so people call it a national dish of the British. People can make the recipe with variations as some like to add coconut oil, while others want it in heavy cream.
As long as the procedure is the same, and that particular essence of the chicken tikka masala is alive in your recipe, all recipes are fine. You can call it British chicken tikka masala, Indian Chicken Tikka Masala, Punjabi Chicken Tikka Masala, Pakistani Chicken Tikka Masala, or whatever you want. The country name doesn’t matter, all that matters is the essence of the authentic recipe should be there. Rest depends on your personal choice, name, and call it the way you like.
The chicken tikka masala recipe is one of the most loved dishes worldwide. The basic procedure of making this recipe is the same but it is made with few variations in different places of the world. Moreover, we have also included a chicken tikka masala recipe from scratch. It can be your best sidekick if you are on diet. Take time out of your busy routine and make chicken tikka spice and store it in an air-tight jar. Besides, saving your time and will also be a lifesaver when you are in hurry. We hope you will try and would love this recipe. We recommend you follow the recipe religiously to get the best results. Don’t forget to get back and comment if you find the recipe helpful and tasty. Good Luck.